Thursday, September 15, 2011

Our Half Marathon!

WE DID IT!


We ran and finished our first Half Marathon!  Wow, I can't believe we actually did it. 
Jordan and Ashley Hix basically inspired us to do this because they up and did it first.  They had success at the AF Canyon Marathon (which would be the one I wish we did), but we decided to do the Spanish Fork Half Marathon because of the timing. Since we started later in the summer with a 10-week training program, the SF race was on the perfect weekend (it also happened to be Sydney's bday: Sept 10th).  I probably wouldn't choose the SF route again because they failed to have aid stations where they needed and promised.  Our time was 2h18min, which was a little over what we wanted and trained for.  What mainly happened was my left gluts and hamstrings started to freak out at about mile 8 and just got worse for the rest of the race (this never happened in our training).  The only aid stations with water that we saw were at mile 3, 8, and 10: very random and horrible timing.  I honestly believe we would've done much better if we had more water, especially for me.  I apologize to Kory for holding him back as he probably would've done much better without me, but he was cute and wouldn't leave me. He definitely would've made 10 min miles if it wasn't for my weak muscles (I didn't cross train, which was my problem).Despite our time, we were first-timers.  I am proud enough to say that we set out and accomplished something we've never done before and originally scared us.  Because of Jordan and Ashley's random desire to challenge themselves, we want to thank them for inspiring us to do the same.  Thank you everybody else who supported us in overcoming our first (and probably last...) Half Marathon!!! ;)

(2011 Marathon, Bib #'s 134 and 200)

 Our supporters! Jordan and Ashley Hix and my sister Sierra.

 Eating a apple all by herself
Sweaty mommy and daddy. 

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Way to go! You both did awesome! I love the first picture of both of you crossing the finish. Keep on running!!!